Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Some Serious but interesting thoughts......
Recently, I have learned some important female lessons concerning the Korean male culture. I don't want to insult the Korean culture and by no means does my experience suggest that the following is the norm. Men are pretty much the same everywhere after all.  From what I have seen of "night life" and certain kind of "Hotels" which are EVERYWHERE (not complaining ether... they're cheep when you need to save money), married men here don't appear to be too concerned with faithfulness. Ironically, my friend and I were speaking about how we have not seen Korean men wearing wedding rings...... At all. So how can you tell if their married? You can't!!!! Most always are though so be carful.... they are so not afraid to hit on you, put a drink in your hand weather you ask or not, and invite you somewhere like a Hotel.  I have been with a group of friends (most single  but of course Matt and I a couple) and Korean men randomly  joined our group for fun and drinks (fine at first). Long story short, they became more and more friendly and after Matt and I left the party seine, my friends reported that these guys (who we knew were married from earlier convo) asked them to come to a hotel with them. It doesn't take a PhD for a girl to know what their game was, but wow, they were very direct and unconcerned about it.  Since this evening I have asked some other girlfriends who have been here a while and this seems to happen a lot more often than you think. It's nothing to fear, but to be aware of. I would and will always party with a group of people I know well here.. Again, I don't want this to come across as the norm, but I am certainly more cautious here that I would be at home. After all, prostitution was still legal as of a few years ago and if a women is within  a 'Hotel' room (by her own means or not) it is not considered rape here if anything happens. Like I said ...... women have to be a little more cautious and discerning here.

On to lighter topics!! I am getting so use to everything here that nothing really brings about the "WHAT!!!" moment. Every now and then however, I get the 'blank stair' trying to figure out what is wrong with the picture. For example, yesterday I was at a little restaurant place ordering a late dinner for Matt and I to take home. While I was standing around waiting for our order a little kid with his little back pack comes in, jumps up  to sit in a chair at the dinner bar, and orders dinner. HE WAS ALONE!!! It looked like he just got done with school and it was like 8pm..... no parents in sight. He could not have been older than 8. I just stared like an idiot cause this little kid looked more independent and adult then I do half the time. I wouldn't have been more bewildered if he whipped out a little wallet and pulled out one of many credit cards to pay for his food  Sad, but amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment