Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Week 3 
Carbs, Sugar, and beer...... the Korean diet

Week 3 is going well so far. Every week is easier and easier, though still difficult at times. So far this week I have gone to a Hoff (Pub), gone hiking over mountains, tried kem-chi again (still horrible), walked downtown, and ate at McDonalds.
Hiking is so beautiful here. What is even more amazing is what you find at the top! Yes, Yes, the view is breath taking, but just incase your not breathing hard enough, they put exercise equipment up there!!! No joke, I wish I remembered to take a picture of it, cause it's hilarious. They have a weight bench, a bench that slants upward for sit-ups, and other things. They even had hula-hoops there (Emily, you would be proud)!!

Anyway, Tuesday after yoga my friend Sarah and I were going to go swimming at  a local pool house. These are hard to find, but for 6,500won (approx 6$) you can go swimming. Even after Sarah explained to me that there is little modesty here and everyone is expected to shower before and after in community showers (gender appropriate of course), I still agree to go. She warned me that everyone would be staring, but that's just because Americans Shave/trim (whatever) areas, and Korean women do not...... at all...... Huummmm I am not to sure about this idea now. I learned that at least my tankini is acceptable swimming attire though. Then, right  before we walk in she says 'Oh, do you have a head cap for swimming"? No, not something we normally wear right???? Well, it is mandatory that everyone, no matter where you are swimming,  wear a swim cap. Since that was going to cost more money, Sarah asked if I would like to walk downtown instead... at this point.... Hell yea!!!!
Off to downtown we walk with my modesty in tacked. We walked A LOT....miles, and miles. A 7 month pregnant woman just walked my butt off and she isn't even breathing hard. For an American, I didn't think I was in that bad of shape till I came here. Back on topic  now!!! Downtown is really cool. Matt would hate it! Here is where the affordable shopping is, but you still have to be very clever. We went to McDonalds, which was very much the same. However, the lack of Diet Coke crisis that Matt blogs about, extends here as well. NOOOOOO!






Speaking f eating, I am already getting tired of the Korean options here. Everything lately has been high in Carbs, sugar, and at night, everyone just wants to drink beer. It's like I am in college again. These Koreans may be starting to eat more unhealthy western style foods, but if they keep climbing mountains to get to exercise machines, I guess they can eat and drink whatever the hell they want. I think Matt is on to something here.... they are definitely like Klingons..... just much smaller and walk A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment